WHAT IS A WEBSITE WRITER?
I create a hybrid between content and copywriting. On the one hand, I write naturalistic copy that is Google savvy. On the other hand, it is sales-focused and brand-conscious. Because the flow and organization of information on your site is so important, I usually create wire-framed content plans or build a skeleton site with the copy in place.
I need to learn your business, understand your competition, know your audience, research the keywords your buyers are likely to use, and keep on top of general developments in the SEO world before I write a word. I’m not a true SEO expert, but I’m Google-friendly.
An existing design is easier for me, but not better for you. Ideally, the content will be planned across your site so you get the best SEO benefits, the sales argument flows properly, and your calls-to-action are in the right place. I do this using a wireframe tool.
A bounce rate above 60% is like a giant digital yawn. Your visitors find you boring. Switch up your content with a mix of writing, video, and graphics. Be (truly) informative. And entertaining. And speak with a voice that is unmistakably your own.
It’s really hard to see how words on a page can work in a website. So I build skeleton WordPress sites with everything in place. You will still need a more polished design and speed optimizations. But you will see how your copy works.
Website Writing Projects
- Buyer Personas – buyer personas are snapshots of your typical customer, used to put a face on people who might search for your website
- Keyword Research – research search terms for a website or blog using forums, Wikipedia, and social media (to identify niche topics, buyer personas), and Google Keyword Planner to create a list of short and longtail keywords that will convert well
- Information Architecture – how content will be organized on your site; I use Balsamiq to create IA wireframes
- Landing Pages – any page can be a landing page including blog articles
- Meta Descriptions – SEO keywords have to go in meta description snippets, the page URL, H2 headers, and alt tags
- Skeleton Sites – to make it easier for you and your web developers, I can build out a WordPress site with the content in place (this replaces wireframes)